This procedure is done with Ubuntu live USB booted on the locked-out Windows PC.
This procedure is for UNENCRYPTED (non-Bitlocker) Windows drives only. Forgotten passwords for Bitlocker encrypted Windows PCs should refer to Microsoft Bitlocker password reset guidance.
Fast boot (auto partial hibernate on shutdown) data must be discarded by:
- power on
- press F8 to discard hibernation data
- boot Windows PC from Ubuntu Live USB
- open Ubuntu file manager. In the left panel, click on the name of your Windows partition to automatically mount the partition.
- click the Ubuntu start icon and open Software & Updates. Check the multiverse and universe boxes under the Ubuntu software tab, and click the refresh button.
- from Ubuntu Terminal
sudo apt install chntpw blkid
Note the UUID of the windows partition, it will be a hexadecimal number. 4. from Ubuntu Terminal
- Open Ubuntu-based Windows password reset program. (NOT FOR BITLOCKER SYSTEMS as all user files would be erased!)
chntpw SAM -i
1) edit user data and passwords
1) Clear the user's password
qto save and exit.
- Reboot PC into windows and choose a new password for the account